Mayor Glenn Elliott also honored several other city residents on Tuesday for their contributions to Wheeling:
– The late John Nanny, Community Spirit Award. For years, Nanny served as the American Legion Post 1 Coordinator for Mountaineer Boys State and also worked with the late Hershel “Woody” Williams to establish a Gold Star families memorial here.
– David H. McKinley, McKinley Architecture & Engineering, for his work rehabilitating the Fort Henry Club on Chapline Street and his belief in the future of Wheeling.
– Dean Connors, Downtown owner and visionary of the Plaza on Market Street, for his efforts to promote Wheeling.
– Betsy Sweeney, Director of Programming for Wheeling Heritage, for her personal journey of sharing with the world her restoration of McLain House in East Wheeling.
– Bill Cornforth, speech and debate coach at Wheeling Park High School, for being recognized as one of the top 18 drama teachers in the nation.
– Former Ohio County Health Officer Dr. William Mercer for his life’s work to improve the public health of all Ohio County residents and his Joe Too Cool to Smoke campaign.
– Former city employee, Loma Nevels, for her ongoing efforts to make Wheeling a better place to live.
Congratulations to all the recipients.