Hello, Atlanta! Let’s get you caught up to start this day on an informed note. Here’s everything you need to know around town today.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Shower and thunderstorm. High: 67 Low: 51.
Looking for a new way to market your local business? We can help you quickly and easily reach potential customers straight to their inbox. Click here to find out more.
Here are the top 5 stories in Atlanta today:
- A bill suspending gasoline taxes in Georgia is on its way to Gov. Brian Kemp, and he said he plans to sign it. According to Georgia Public Broadcast, the Georgian Senate voted unanimously pass a bill suspending state taxes on gasoline until May. Once passed, the measure could save Georgian drivers 29 cents per gallon of gasoline, Lieutenant Governor Geoff Duncan tweeted. The bill will probably reach Kemp’s office today. “We are delighted the Senate voted in favor, and Governor Kemp will sign it as soon as possible,” Kemp spokeswoman Katie Byrd said in an email Thursday. (Atlanta crest)
- Georgia posted one of its best Januarys on record, adding 19,400 jobs. Typically, January sees the elimination of thousands of positions, many of which were created to manage the holiday rush for retail and delivery businesses. In an average pre-pandemic January, the region loses about 47,500 jobs. But this year the economy has shrunk by only 22,200 jobs. That’s good news, said Georgia Labor Commissioner Mark Butler, adding that chances are good January job seekers have already been hired or will be soon. Currently, more than 95,000 job postings are listed for the Atlanta metro area, where more than 60% of jobs in the state are located. “We continue to see Georgia’s workforce successfully employed in record numbers,” Butler said. (The constitution of the Atlanta newspaper)
- It’s official: Freddie Freeman is leaving the Braves and joining one of their main opponents, the Los Angeles Dodgers. According to multiple reports, Freeman, an Orange County native, and the Dodgers agreed to a six-year contract worth $162 million late Wednesday night. Earlier this week, Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos made a huge trade and landed Atlanta native Matt Olson. (Free: CBSsports.com; Subscription: The constitution of the Atlanta newspaper)
- Season 8 of “Masterchef Junior,” which returned Thursday with 16 young chefs ages 8 to 13, stars Atlanta chef A’Dan Lisaula. Filmed in the fall of 2019 before the pandemic, the Fox Show spotlights A’Dan at age 10. He just turned 13. “When I was 10, I was a bit arrogant,” he said. “I’m more humble now. I know my limits. And my cooking has been elevated ever since. I want to elevate it even more.” Gordon Ramsay, who is much nicer on “Masterchef Junior” than “Masterchef” or “Hell’s Kitchen”, spoke to A’Dan from Atlanta during the first episode, mentioning that he went catfishing here and saying: “They are huge!” (Free: Fox.com; Subscription: The constitution of the Atlanta newspaper)
- Many residents of Georgia showed their solidarity with Ukraine in the face of the Russian invasion through donations, protests and signs of support. Companies have also taken a stand. Total Wines, with stores in Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Kennesaw and Atlanta, has removed all Russian-made beverages from its shelves. Based in Atlanta Delta Airlines and the Coca-Cola Company are among many global companies suspending business relationships with Russian entities. And Governor Brian Kemp condemned Russia, expressing his support for Ukraine while directing state and local governments stop working with Russian companies. For those interested in doing more to support Ukraine, here are 23 charities that are accepting donations. (Atlanta crest)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you by Ring, a Patch brand partner. We all know that Ring is the leader in video doorbells for home security. But did you know that Ring now makes a home security system that is acclaimed by consumer electronics experts? (CNET reviewers called the new system – known as the the Ring Alarm Pro — “a giant leap for home security”). So why the congratulations?
In a nutshell: Ring Alarm Pro can protect your home online and offline. It includes a built-in eero Wi-Fi 6 router to help you get reliable physical and digital security in one innovative device. Now you can help protect your home with all the benefits of the Ring Alarm, to keep your home safe and secure, while enjoying fast and reliable connectivity.
To learn more about the system CNET called “the future of home security” or to create your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
Today in Atlanta:
- Atlanta Home Show Returns to Cobb Galleria from March 18-20, bringing the highly anticipated annual consumer show back to market amid an ongoing pandemic-fueled home improvement boom. (10:00 AM)
- Salesforce presents the Blind Institute of Technology’s Dining in The Dark Fundraising Gala at the Georgia Aquarium. (6:00 p.m.)
- Start the weekend with a smile at Red’s Comedy Night. Starting tonight, guests in need of a pick-me-up or looking for a smile are welcome to join amateur comedians for a free comedy show at Red’s pet friendly beer garden. (7:00 p.m.)
- Celebrating Southern Dharma, the healing power of love and empowerment of the Medicine Buddha, is an annual event of spiritual practitioners in the southeastern United States. This year the celebration is hosted by Kadampa Meditation Center Georgia and is available in person and online. (7:00 p.m.)
- Horizon Theater Show of “The Light” at the Little Five Points Center for Arts and Community (20:00)
From my notebook:
- Nextdoor neighbor, Boat Rock / Camp Creek: “I would love to take tennis lessons again. Can anyone recommend an instructor or facility in the area? Would love to do it again this spring. Thanks in advance!” (The next door)
- Next door neighbour, Lac Claire: “⚡️⚡️⚡️ MAMMA MIA ⚡️⚡️⚡️ – 💥 Opening night is a week away! https://gradydramaboosters2.square.site/” (The next door)
- Next door neighbour, Sagamore Hills: “Looking for a new primary care physician. Prefer a woman who specializes (or at least has significant knowledge) in issues arising from peri-menopause, anxiety, and mental health, in addition to medicine General Internal. Any recommendations are appreciated.” (The next door)
- Next door neighbour, Summerhill: “Check out my new group: Mama Needs Wine (& a Nanny!) Social Club. I would love to meet other amazing moms in our area! Please join my new group and invite a neighbor. https://nextdoor.com /g/b8cqe3g8f” (The next door)
- Nextdoor neighbor, Legacy at Cascading Creek: “Looking for a good dog daycare. Suggestions ? » (The next door)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin back for one night only (March 19)
- 3/21 and 3/21 Estate Planning Webinar (March 21)
- Barranco Enterprises – 1st Annual Career Fair (March 21)
- PRIDE Kickball Atlanta Spring Leagues (March 21)
- DeKalb Symphony Masterworks Series No. 2 (March 22)
- American Diabetes Association Diabetes Alert Day: Understand Your Risk (March 22)
- Feeling overwhelmed? Anxieties? Refocus with Holistic Fitness for all levels! (March 24)
- High Revelry for the High Museum Wine Auction (March 24)
- John Stango Artists Exhibition (March 26)
- 8 Year Anniversary of Independent Distilling and Crawfish Boiling with Mothers Best!! (March 26)
- Add your event
Do you like everyday life in Atlanta? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Please follow and stay informed. See you tomorrow for another update!
— Kathy Cioffi